Top of bill front:
1. Customer name and mailing address: This is the name and mailing address for the person responsible for the account. The mailing address and service address may be different.
2. Bill Date: This is the date your bill was prepared.
3. Account Number: This is your 16-19 digit New Mexico Gas Company account number.
4. Service Address: This is the address of the property where natural gas service is being provided. The service address and mailing address may be different.
5. Billing Summary: This includes your current charges, total amount due and the date your payment must be received by New Mexico Gas Company to avoid late fees.
6. Message Area: News, updates and special information is printed in this area.
7. How to Contact Us: This includes the nearest New Mexico Gas Company Business Center address, our Customer Service telephone number and call center hours, website, and the telephone number to Pay by Phone.
Bottom of bill front:
8. Estimate for Next Month’s Gas: New Mexico Gas Company provides you with an estimate of your next month’s gas bill based on the estimated cost of gas and your usage the previous year.
9. Payment Coupon: Please detach and return this coupon with your payment, using the remittance envelope provided.
Back of bill:
The back of your bill includes a detailed breakdown of your charges. Here is an explanation of the terms used:
10. Therm: One therm equals 100,000 Btu or about 96.7 cubic feet of natural gas. A British thermal unit (Btu) is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. This figure is your gas usage and is used to calculate your bill payment amount.
11. Cost of Gas: The cost of gas is the price New Mexico Gas Company pays producers for your natural gas each month. New Mexico Gas Company does not make a profit on the cost of buying gas. This purchase price is passed through to the customer.
12. Surcharge: An approved miscellaneous fee.
13. Distribution and Transmission: These charges cover operating costs directly related to the transmission and distribution of gas from the producer to customers, for operating and maintaining equipment, pipelines, wages, various taxes and debt payments. These charges are regulated by the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission.
14. Access Fee: The fee reflects the costs of operating and maintaining the natural gas pipelines and the costs of meter reading and customer services.
15. Energy Efficiency Fee: This fee covers the New Mexico Gas Company Energy Efficiency Programs approved by the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission, which offers rebates on energy efficient products and services.
16. Pipeline Safety Fee: This is a charge imposed by the State of New Mexico to fund pipeline inspections by the Pipeline Safety Bureau.
17. Franchise Fee: This fee is imposed by cities for the use of public rights-of-way to bring natural gas service to your building.
Special Help for Our Customers
You will also see two special features we provide on each bill to help you budget and see potential issues with your gas service.
On the front of each bill, we provide an estimate of your next month’s bill, based on last year’s gas usage at your location and next month’s estimated cost of gas:
On the back of each bill, is a graph showing the gas used at your meter this month, this month last year, and last month, as well as the average gas usage (therms and costs) per day:
If your bill or gas usage is considerably higher or lower than normal or expected, or you have any questions about your bill, please feel free to contact us at 888-NM-GAS-CO (888-664-2726) and our Customer Service Representatives will help examine your account and, if necessary, our service technicians will investigate your gas service.