Automated Meter Readings
As part of our ongoing efforts to offer you quality service and convenience, we have upgraded many of our natural gas meters with automated meter reading (AMR). With this technology, gas meters can be read remotely using a small, battery-operated device on the meter. In use for more than 40 years and deployed by 90 percent of gas utilities in the U.S., AMR technology has been proven to safely and reliably produce the most accurate meter readings, which means the most accurate bills for our customers.
- No more meter reading errors that occur with manual readings
- Virtual elimination of missed meter reads
- More privacy — a meter reader won’t come onto your property to read your meter
- Greater convenience — no need to make arrangements for access to the meter for meter reading
Special note to our customers:
- No one other than a New Mexico Gas Company employee will need access to your property to service our gas meters.
- All New Mexico Gas Company employees carry photo identification badges and drive marked vehicles with the New Mexico Gas Company logo. If there is any doubt about whether a person is really one of our service technicians, please feel free to contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does AMR work?
- AMR uses a small battery-operated device installed onto existing gas meters which reads the meters digitally and records the readings using a radio transmitter. AMR technology only reads the meter and gas usage.
- Will AMR control the gas I use or affect my appliances?
- No, AMR only reads your meter and gas usage.
- Is there still a dial on my meter?
- Yes, your meter will still have a dial so that if we need to read your meter manually we can. You will also be able to look at the dials if you want.
- Does AMR change how I pay my bills?
- No, AMR does not change any of your payment options.
- Will you ever need to access my meter after AMR is installed?
- Yes, even though New Mexico Gas Company employees will no longer need access to your meter for meter readings, we will still need access to your meter for maintenance or safety reasons.
- Is my personal information safe and secure?
- Yes. AMR only sends information about the meter reading and gas usage, which is securely and confidentially recorded. It does not transmit any other personal or account information about you.
- Does AMR interfere with my TV, radio or other electronic equipment?
- No. AMR is safe and will not interfere with electronic devices: televisions, radios, phones, internet, garage door openers, or invisible fences. The FCC-compliant automatic readers use standard radio frequencies and, like the common radio, have been shown to be safe.